Mar 19 2009

Connected World #2

Published by under Uncategorized

Since finding a blogger from Eastern Europe was hard for me (and some other people as well), Ms. Ulster gave the option to look for blogs by the topic we were assigned as well as the original option, by a blogger from your assigned region. Since my assigned topic was Human Rights, I searched for blogs in the same website (http://globalvoicesonline.org/) using their search engine. It came up with many interesting results, so it was more convenient and I got a variety of choices to chose from. This week I chose a blog written by Hamid Tehrani, (Blogger Profile: http://globalvoicesonline.org/author/hamid-tehrani/) from Iran. It was written about an Iranian blogger that suffered from depression who died because the prison doctors didn’t allow him to get treated in a hospital outside of prison (Link To Original Blog: http://globalvoicesonline.org/2009/03/19/omid-reza-mir-sayafi-iranian-blogger-dies-in-prison/). Omid Reza Mir Sayafi, a 29 year-old blogger and journalist was sentenced to prison for and a half years in the past December for insulting religous leaders and engaging propaganda agaisnt the Islamic Republic of Iran. So after not getting medical care, he died of deep depression on March 18 2009 at the Evin Prison in Tehran. Although he is wrong in this case, I think anyone deserves the right to be treated if they’re sick. But then he was the one causing propaganda in islam society and insulting religous leaders first, and everybody has the right to believe in what religion they believe in (or just anything else in general) so it’s sorta like irony because he was the one insulting other people first. But then again he deserves the right to be medically treated. So I guess it could work one way or the other. 

12 responses so far

12 Responses to “Connected World #2”

1.   Lisa Groeningon 20 Mar 2009 at 9:51 am

Hi Nata: I thought I’d click on your blog entry to see what kind of assignment Ms. Ulster has given you. I am a teacher in California, and I used to work with Ms. Ulster and her husband, Mr. Denby. I miss them so much! I thought Ms. Ulster was one of the greatest teachers I’ve ever known. I liked her so much that I sent both of my own children to her school. Please say hi to her from Lisa.

I think this project of following people from around the world through their blogs is fascinating. I am going to ask my students (in the seventh and eighth grades) to look at your class’s blogs and write responses to them. I hope next week won’t be too late for your project.

Thanks for posting!

-Lisa (or Ms. Groening)

2.   nataon 21 Mar 2009 at 6:50 am

We’re going to be doing this unit until about the end of this semester I think (around June or something). I forwarded your comment to Ms. Ulster already so she knows that you said hi.

-Nata

3.   poojahson 23 Mar 2009 at 2:54 am

Hi Nata. I’m writing this for the second time because edublogs just closed and my comment disappeared :(

I agree with you that the blogger deserves to be medically treated because even if he was a prisoner, he was still a citizen of the country and has the right to use the facilities.

Thank you for posting about this, it made me understand how the country worked better.

4.   OoM <3on 23 Mar 2009 at 4:47 am

Hey nice job again Nata!!! Your voice really shines through the writing and I like how you communicated with the reader by using casual words. You have a nice choice of vocabulary, which seems to get better, and I like your sentence structures. This made your post more interesting to read than from reading the original article itself and makes people want to read more of your posts. Readers would also think along as they read your posts, so that’s good!!!

5.   nataon 23 Mar 2009 at 7:22 am

Oh I’m sorry to hear about that Poojah but edublogs like always messes up :P
    Thank you! Your writings are interesting to read too!

6.   Lauraon 23 Mar 2009 at 3:26 pm

Hi my name is Laura. I go to the Waverly School in California. My english teacher Margret knows your teacher Ms. Ulster. I really enjoyed your blog. You are a great writer and know a lot about the connected world. It was very interesting about the people in prison. Also that chocolate looks really good.

7.   Henryon 23 Mar 2009 at 5:13 pm

Hi Nata, my name’s Henry and im 13 years old(my english teacher Lisa’s a friend of Ms. Ulster). I was really interested in your story about the blogger that died in prison. I agree that he it was wrong for the blogger to insult their leaders but i believe he had his own right to express an opion about the subject. I also agree that everyone has a right to treatment when their sick and it was irrisponsible of the goverment as the one in control to neglect his human needs.
    -Henry

8.   lairdon 23 Mar 2009 at 7:17 pm

Hi Nata my name is Laird i am a student of Lisa (Mrs. Greoning). I thought it is really cool that you made a blog in english class. I liked your writing it was really good well good job.

9.   lairdon 23 Mar 2009 at 7:19 pm

Hello my name is Laird i am from California in the United States. I really enjoyed your Blog Keep up the good work! :)
    Laird

10.   lairdon 23 Mar 2009 at 7:20 pm

sorry i sent two messages i’m really bad with computers

11.   nataon 24 Mar 2009 at 2:15 am

Thank-you everyone for the positive comments ^^
    And thanks Laura, I like the chocolate too :D

12.   Samanthaon 26 Mar 2009 at 7:43 pm

I am Ms. Ulster’s friend from New York City. I think that you are correct and everyone deserves proper medical treatment no matter what. Even if they are in jail for a crime. Think is a very important issue and I am glad you blogged about it.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS